How to register as self employed – Tax and NI

Bookmark this page More in this section

It’s important to let HMRC know that you’re self-employed as soon as possible – even if you already fill in a tax return each year. If you don’t tell them as soon as you begin self employment you may also incur penalties.

By registering for tax you are automatically registering for National Insurance, which then gives rights to basic state pension, sickness benefit, and maternity allowance and bereavement

To find out how to register, including what information you will need to have to hand, follow the first link below.

The simple thing to do is register on line

Please also note that for security reasons, you will be timed out after 15 minutes. Therefore please have all information to hand before you start. (See section 4).

You can also register by telephone

In most cases you can also register as self-employed by calling the Newly Self-employed Helpline on 0845 915 4515. Lines are open from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm Monday to Friday and 8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday and Sunday (closed Bank Holidays). You’ll still need all of the information mentioned above to hand.

And by post

If you prefer to register by post please download and complete the form CWF1 Becoming self-employed and being registered for National Insurance contributions and/or tax.

If you delay telling HMRC that you are self-employed for three months or more you may have to pay a penalty. If you know you are registering late, you must also explain the reason for the delay.

For complete details on the registration process and other useful start up information follow the link below.